The satellite telecommunications industry has a rich and complex global ecosystem of hardware manufacturers and service providers. Today’s networks are capable of delivering as much as 100 times the capacity of those built just a decade ago, greatly expanding their value in commercial and government communications networks. Limited orbital and frequency assignments continue to push satellite technology and service providers to create ever-more capable and innovative solutions. Broadband and mobile services are extending the market’s footprint. At the same time, industry consolidation is driving economies of scale and capital requirements for market leadership.
Since its founding, CSP has specialized in this market sector – serving both the companies active in the market and the financial institutions that invest in them. CSP’s strategic clients have included most of the world’s major manufacturers of space and ground segment hardware and software; and satellite operators and service providers. These clients have retained CSP to provide timely and unbiased market assessments, business plan/venture development, financing support, and vendor diligence efforts. Equally important has been CSP’s role in supporting detailed business diligence for several of the industry’s major satellite transactions; representative engagements include:
- Strategic and market analysis leading to Lockheed Martin Corporation’s sale of the Linkway satellite modem product line to Viasat
- Vendor diligence to support sale of MCI’s minority position in StarOne (acquired by Telmex)
- Buy-side diligence support to The Carlyle Group in their acquisition (in concert with KKR and Providence Equity) of PanAmSat
- Buy-side diligence support to Apax Partners and Permira Ltd. in their acquisition of Intelsat
- Buy side diligence support to Abry Partners and CapRock in their acquisition of Arrowhead Global Solutions
- Buy-side diligence support to Permira Ltd., in its acquisition of Asia Broadcast Satellite